Monday, February 1, 2010

Destination: Uganda

Time after time, the possible Africa assignments didn't come to fruition.

Time after time, I was disheartened and questioned, "Lord, what is your plan? Why are none of these assignments working out?"


The last two and a half years, as I've been waiting, I've reminded myself over and over that His timing is perfect.

His plan is perfect.

He knows the desires of my heart more than I do!


I never understood why ASHLEY'S plan wasn't working out. [Story of my life! :) ]

Until now--until this past Friday, to be exact.


I received a phone call from AIM, letting me know that "Dwelling Places" has requested that I come to Kampala, Uganda and serve with their ministry for approximately 9 months.

Yes, I did just say Uganda.

While taking care of ten Ugandan orphans (on the choir tour), I developed a curiosity and a passion for the Ugandan people and culture.

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that God would place me in their hometown of Kampala!


God's faithfulness absolutely blows me away.

"He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it." -1 Thess 5:24 (ESV)

January 30, 2009 I read this verse in "My Utmost For His Highest,"

and I wrote "Africa...in His timing" in the margin.

Exactly one year later was the weekend that I received the call about Uganda. Incredible.


I will be assisting Dwelling Places with various needs, including public relations and ministering to the kids. [I also want to come up with a creative way to use my photography to reach people THERE and HERE.]

According to their website,

"Dwelling Places...is dedicated to removing children from the streets, rebuilding broken families and restoring broken individuals with the love of Jesus Christ."


dp

[Photo from D.P.'s website]


I am planning to leave for Uganda in early June.

I have four months to prepare mentally, physically, and spiritually.

I also need to immediately start raising support. Although that part feels overwhelming, I know He will continue to show me His faithfulness.


If you would like me to send you a support letter in the next few weeks, please contact me with your address.


While I'm gone, I am hoping that God breaks my heart for the things that break His heart. I hope this blog will inform you about the tragic yet hopeful circumstances in Uganda...I can't wait to witness the Lord restoring children in His name.


This blog will be updated semi-regularly before I leave and certainly regularly once I'm in Uganda.

1 comment:

Mrs. Becca said...

Um I'm moving from this house sometime in Feb, then Sean and I will be getting hitched *squeal* then moving somewhere else. SO, if you come up with a fancy email version of your support letter, send it to me/Sean :D So excited for you!!!