Sunday, June 20, 2010

passionate devotion

I read this on the plane to Africa, and I wanted to share it with you all. The cause (the work) that I'm doing is important; however, He has to be at the center of it. He has to be my strength. I can't do this on my own, and I know myself--there will be days where I'm tempted to, but it will get me nowhere.

Our Lord's first obedience was to do the will of His Father, not to the needs of men;
the saving of men was the natural outcome of His obedience to the Father.
If I am devoted to the cause of humanity only, I will soon be exhausted and come to the place where my love will falter;
but if I love Jesus Christ personally and passionately, I can serve humanity though men treat me as a doormat.
-Oswald Chambers/My Utmost/June 19

100618_9033

Our two-day orientation at AIM's headquarters (in NY) was uplifting and refreshing. We were challenged to use our "kingdom eyes" instead of our natural eyes. While walking the streets of Africa, I want God to point out the people He wants me to encourage. I want to see the big picture and understand what's really going on--instead of looking with my natural eyes, as I'm used to doing.

Isaiah 61:1
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives,
and release from darkness for the prisoners.

That's what it's all about. That's why I'm here....

1 comment:

Sarah said...

wonderful quote.
I really do believe, Ashley, that God is going to do so much in your heart in the next several months - sanctifying you; fashioning you into the image of His Son, for our Father's glory and your good. I am sure that He will use you to bless and minister to others there, but I think you will be amazed and astounded at how much He will be at work inside of you. As challenges arise around you and you see struggles with sin in your own heart, be encouraged that God is at work. He has gone before you, and has every day written out for you.
In Christ alone,
Sarah